California Attorney Fighting Debt Collectors
There are laws that restrict what debt collectors can and cannot do. If they break any of these rules, you can file suit. At Law Office of Lawrence L. Szabo, our Oakland-based lawyer can advise you on your options and represent you in consumer protection litigation in Alameda County or Contra Costa County, California. Contact us for a free consultation.
As your debt gets larger, the debt collection business becomes more lucrative. Debt collectors will sometimes go to extreme lengths to get money from you. But they are barred by the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act (FDCPA) from doing any of the following:
- Calling you before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Contacting you after they receive a letter from you telling them to stop
- Contacting you where you work, after being told not to do so
- Lying about the debt or using deception in any way
- Putting your name or address on a "bad debt" list
- Adding extra fees or charges that are not provided for by law
- Threatening to arrest you or take any other legal action that is not actually possible
- Verbally abusing you with profanity
- Telling your friends or family about your debt -- they are only allowed to tell your spouse and attorney
- Putting false information on your credit report or threatening to do so
- Filing lawsuits in jurisdictions besides the one in which you live and / or signed relevant contracts
You do not have to withstand any of the above treatment. You may send a letter to the debt collection agency -- see our Forms page for a letter you can use. The letter should stop them from contacting you any more. If they do not stop, our attorney can help you take further action.
Bankruptcy is an Option
Of course, you can also file for bankruptcy. As soon as you file, you will immediately be freed from all creditor harassment Keep in mind, however, that if you have no assets or income, or if your assets and income are protected by law, bankruptcy may not be your best alternative.
Contact a Skilled Consumer Protection Lawyer
To get an experienced lawyer's help with unscrupulous debt collectors, please contact us any time for a free initial consultation.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.