California Bankruptcy Attorney
Bankruptcy proceedings can lead to litigation in the bankruptcy court. It may be rare, but when it occurs, it is necessary to have a lawyer with the experienced to handle such litigation.
Attorney Lawrence L. Szabo has spent more than 35 years taking bankruptcy cases in behalf of people in and near Oakland, California, including Alameda County and Contra Costa County. He is fully devoted to bankruptcy and related matters, and has a proven ability to deal with bankruptcy litigation matters. Contact us to set up a free consultation.
Bankruptcy litigation can arise in many contexts. Lawrence accepts a wide range of bankruptcy cases, including:
- Creditors and debtors interested in relief from stay motions
- Debtors who are sued by creditors to except a debt from discharge ("nondischargeability").
- Individuals or businesses that have been brought into bankruptcy proceedings unwillingly.
- Individuals or businesses affected by Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 bankruptcies because they received "preferential" payments.
- Debtors sued by bankruptcy trustees for denial of their discharge
- Objections to the allowance of creditor claims
- Bankruptcy appeals
- Problem bankruptcies, including any proceedings that went awry for whatever reason.
The above covers only a sampling of the possible cases. Lawrence frequently accepts attorney referrals involving more unusual situations, and also serves as an expert witness in cases involving professional negligence.
In many cases, bankruptcy litigation can not be avoided. In the case of preference litigation, for example, thousands of creditors are often sued by a bankruptcy trustee representing a large company. All that can be done is hire an experienced lawyer to represent your interests.
In other contexts, it is relatively easy to avoid bankruptcy litigation. For example, an individual filing for bankruptcy must provide all financial information promptly and accurately, and not attempt to "cheat" the system. Some people try to transfer the ownership of their houses or other valuable assets to their relatives or close friends. This never works, only serving to embroil the parties involved in further legal trouble.
Contact a Litigation and Appellate Lawyer in Oakland
To speak with Lawrence L. Szabo free of charge about any bankruptcy litigation or appeal, contact us any time.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.